June 29, 2010

A Scared and Single Woman

Written by guest blogger Pat Kilnom.

Every time I turn on the news, it seems like I see a woman has recently been attacked or victimized while at home. Being a single woman myself, this quite frankly scares me. I don't want to end up being one of the latest stories on the 10 o'clock news. Recently to combat these fears I started to become proactive in finding ways to protect myself and to allow myself to feel safer in my home.

The first thing I did was to buy pepper spray, which I keep right by the front door. This gives me an arms length defense mechanism from an intruder who may try to force their way in. I also bought two stun guns and keep one close to the door to use as a secondary mode of defense from an intruder, and I keep one in my nightstand by my bed. I also had deadbolt locks put in both of the outside doors to my home. Finally, I had a personal alarm systems installed. The alarm system can trigger an automatic police and emergency vehicle dispatch to my home in minutes. It also has the additional bonus of protecting my belongings while I am away. With these recent safety precautions I have taken, I feel much safer now in my home, and I actually can tell I am sleeping better. I think it is because subconsciously I don’t feel as nervous or scared anymore.

No comments: