September 29, 2010

Looney with Anticipation

The Author of this post is Velma Baird

I've been a huge fan of Looney Tunes ever since I was little. It is this simple reason that I am eagerly anticipating using my directTV to watch Cartoon Network's upcoming fall program, The Looney Tunes Show.

Granted, Looney Tunes reboots and re-imaginings are not exactly out of the ordinary. For the past few decades there have been countless variations on the classic characters, with dozens of different settings and scenarios.

From all appearances though, this new version stands out thanks to a return to the basics of what made the original cartoons so appealing: wacky scenarios that come out of character interaction rather than high concepts.

Apparently this new version will revolve around a sitcom-esque situation involving Bug Bunny and Daffy Duck living as roommates, and will be bookended by 3d CGI shorts featuring Wile E Coyote and the Road Runner.

Providing the voices for Bugs and Daffy will be fan favorite Jeff Bergman, who will join longtime Looney Tunes voice actress June Foray, whose continued dedication to the franchise (for over 50 years, no less) has always awed me.

Knowing all this, how can I resist giving the show a try? Sure, most of the recent fodder in the franchise has been less than impressive, but who cares? I love Looney Tunes, and I'm sure I'll love The Looney Tunes Show.

No comments: